Ten percent of every green fee on each of the City of Long Beach golf courses goes into a Capital Improvement Project (CIP) Fund that allows for continual reinvestment into and improvements of, our five municipal golf courses. This Fund helps maintain and improve these fantastic assets of the City of Long Beach. In 2016, just barely less than $1,000,000 was deposited into the CIP Fund, with $438,000 of that being used for the annual payments on the Bond that was created to fund the rebuilding of Skylinks GC in 2004. Attached are some pictures from some of the projects that were completed in 2016.
Items currently planned for 2017 include:
- The renovation of the fairway bunkers will continue with between 8 and 10 bunkers being rebuilt (similar to those redone on holes #4, #5 and #10 in 2016), and the possibility of enlarging 1 or 2 more greens, similar to what was done on holes #7 and #13 in 2016.
- Continuing removal of trees that have reached the point in their life cycle as to be dead, dying or even dangerous, and a few more tree plantings designed to provide long-term definition of fairway lines and protection from errant shots.
- Potential improvements to the driving range.
Rec Park 18
- New tee signs similar to those recently installed at El Dorado Park GC.
- Improvements to the Kitchen to allow for more food capacity.
- Upgrades to the Wedding Gazebo
Rec Park 9-hole
- Tree plantings designed to provide protection between the 6th and 7th holes
- New patio furniture to allow more casual seating
- Replacing the significantly damaged cart path left of the 5th green
- Renovation of some of the more penal greenside bunkers will continue, likely on holes #5 and #6 as well as a probably rebuilding the left fairway bunker at the dogleg on hole #2.
- Planting of at least 20 trees designed to provide safety and architectural integrity of certain holes like #6, #10 and #14 New aerators in two of the lakes to prevent algae build-up
- New furniture in the Café
- Creation of a Tree Inventory and Planting Program
- Rebuilding and levelling of several tee boxes
Tee Sign – new tee signs were installed on every tee at El Dorado; this will be done at Rec Park 18 in 2017
In March, the renovated “Mid Century Modern” Clubhouse at Heartwell was rededicated after over $500,000 in upgrades including new furniture and fixtures throughout, remodelled bathrooms that meet ADA requirements, redesigned pro shop and repairs to the kitchen and roof
both clubhouse restrooms were enlarged and modernized
The Café at Heartwell went through a complete makeover including new tables and chairs
the counter in the Café was redesigned
new tables, chairs and umbrellas were added to the patio at Heartwell
The new counter in the Pro Shop at Heartwell
The Pro Shop at Heartwell Park GC was redesigned so that visitors get a view of the golf course
One of the lights on the driving range at Heartwell fell during a storm and needed to be replaced
Several completely dead trees were removed at El Dorado and both Recreation Park courses
new trees were planted at several courses in 2016 and more will be planted in 2017!
Many of the trees on the Long Beach courses may look alright, but as they age, they begin to deteriorate as shown by the decayed trunk of this 25 foot high carob tree removed at El Dorado GC
The stream fronting the 1st green at El Dorado was altered to have a land bridge reinstated (the original land bridge was removed as part of some renovations in 1999)
new piping was added to ensure proper flow of water under the new land bridge fronting the 1st green at El Dorado
the completed land bridge fronting the 1st green at El Dorado has speeded play and allowed for a slightly easier (and more enjoyable) approach shot
Three forward tee boxes at El Dorado GC were enlarged and laser levelled, then re-sodded
The tee box on #12 at Recreation Park 18 was renovated including laser-leveling and a new sand cap
new sod on the 12th tee box at Recreation Park 18
The tee box on #16 at Recreation Park 18 was renovated including laser-leveling and a new sand cap
new sod on the 16th tee box at Recreation Park 18
new tables and chairs were purchased for the Café at Little Rec; new patio furniture will be purchased in 2017
A bulldozer levels the existing bunker on the front left of the 13th green at Skylinks GC
After shaping, drains and rock are installed in the renovated bunker on #13 at Skylinks GC
The new bunker on the left of the 13th green at Skylinks is ready for sand
Completed! The new and improved greenside bunker on the 13th hole at Skylinks GC
the 7th green at El Dorado GC was enlarged by nearly 40%, allowing more usable hole locations and some dicey hole locations very near to the lake
the new sod on the expanded 7th green at El Dorado
About 10 yards of new putting surface was added to the 13th green at El Dorado, making the green visible from the fairway and affording more (and more challenging) hole locations