Ten percent of every green fee on each of the City of Long Beach golf courses goes into a Capital Improvement Project (CIP) Fund that allows for continual reinvestment into and improvements of, our five municipal golf courses. This Fund helps maintain and improve these fantastic assets of the City of Long Beach. In 2016, just barely less than $1,000,000 was deposited into the CIP Fund, with $438,000 of that being used for the annual payments on the Bond that was created to fund the rebuilding of Skylinks GC in 2004. Attached are some pictures from some of the projects that were completed in 2016.
Items currently planned for 2017 include:
- The renovation of the fairway bunkers will continue with between 8 and 10 bunkers being rebuilt (similar to those redone on holes #4, #5 and #10 in 2016), and the possibility of enlarging 1 or 2 more greens, similar to what was done on holes #7 and #13 in 2016.
- Continuing removal of trees that have reached the point in their life cycle as to be dead, dying or even dangerous, and a few more tree plantings designed to provide long-term definition of fairway lines and protection from errant shots.
- Potential improvements to the driving range.
Rec Park 18
- New tee signs similar to those recently installed at El Dorado Park GC.
- Improvements to the Kitchen to allow for more food capacity.
- Upgrades to the Wedding Gazebo
Rec Park 9-hole
- Tree plantings designed to provide protection between the 6th and 7th holes
- New patio furniture to allow more casual seating
- Replacing the significantly damaged cart path left of the 5th green
- Renovation of some of the more penal greenside bunkers will continue, likely on holes #5 and #6 as well as a probably rebuilding the left fairway bunker at the dogleg on hole #2.
- Planting of at least 20 trees designed to provide safety and architectural integrity of certain holes like #6, #10 and #14 New aerators in two of the lakes to prevent algae build-up
- New furniture in the Café
- Creation of a Tree Inventory and Planting Program
- Rebuilding and levelling of several tee boxes